Friday, May 16, 2014

Health Condition Inquiry, Internal Medicine, Blood test, and Urine test

1.  Blood test and Urine test
Nurse:  You need blood and urine test.
            I'd like to run the blood test first.
            Please roll up your left sleeve.
            Make a tight fist, please.  I'm going to draw(뽑다) some blood.
          Relax.
Patient:  Will it hurt?
Nurse:  Not really.
            OK.  Press your arm until the bleeding stops.
Patient:  Do you have a band-aid?
Nurse:  We are sorry, we don't have any.
            It will be fine in 5 minutes.
            Please, take this cup for your urine sample and bring it back to this table.


2.  Dialogue
For the X-ray test
Nurse:  Please take off your shirt and stand in front of the machine.
            Take a deep breath and hold it.  I am taking an X-ray.



3.  You have a chest condition.
Doctor:  Ms. Lee, how do you feel?
Patient:  I have been having chest pains.
Doctor:  Have you ever had any chest pain before?
Patient:  No, this is the first time.
Doctor:  Is there any history of heart disease in your family?
Patient:  Yes.  My father and my uncle died from heart attack.
Doctor:  When did the pain start?
Patient:  Just this morning.
Doctor:  We would like to run some tests such as blood test, chest x-ray, ECG,
          and MRI.
              While we wait for the results, I'll treat you for the chest pain.
Patient:  Thank you doctor.


4.  You are suffering from a stomachache.
Doctor:  Ms. Lee, what's troubling you?
Patient:  I have severe pain in the upper abdomen.  I  feel my stomach is burning and
             I haven't eaten much today and I already feel full.
Doctor:  I believe you have an indigestion.
             I'll prescribe you an antacid(제산정) to make you feel better.
Patient:  Thank you, doctor.


5.  You are suffering from allergy.
Doctor:  Ms. Lee, what's the matter?
Patient:   I have a stuffy and runny nose, watery eyes, I can't stop sneezing, and my eyes are itchy.
Doctor:  You have symptoms of allergies.  I'll prescribe you some allergy medicine.
              You'll feel better soon.
Patient:  Thank you, doctor.
         

6.  You don't feel well.  You had trouble sleeping last night.
Doctor:  Ms. Lee, what's the matter?
Patient:  I'm suffering from minor flu and I feel very tired but I can't fall a sleep.
             I had trouble sleeping even last night.
Doctor:  I'll give you some flu medicine that will also help you to rest and sleep.



Statements of Offering Help
How can you ask help if you have problems and how would you respond as a nurse?
1.  You  need to see a doctor because you sprained your ankle.

2.  You need to see a doctor right away because you have a pounding headache and it hurts very much.

3.  You are requesting for an ice pack because you are running a fever.

4.  You need help to sit up from the bed.

5.  You need some water because you are thirsty.

6.  You've been waiting for your doctor and you feel you need to see him right away.
     He is treating his other patients at the moment.

7.  You are an inpatient and you need to use the bathroom.


1.  I need to see a doctor because I sprained my ankle.


2.  I have a severe pounding headache.
   It's very painful so I need to see a doctor right away.

3.  I'm running a fever.  Could you please bring me an ice pack?
     Nurse:  Give me one minute please.

4.  Can you help me sit up from the bed?
     Nurse:  Please hold onto my neck.  I'll help you sit up.

5.  I'm thirsty.  Can you bring me some water?
     Nurse:  Sure.  I will bring you water right away.

6.  I need to see the doctor right away.  I can't wait any longer.
     Nurse:  How are you feeling?  
     Patient:  I have an excruciating pain in my stomach.  
     Nurse:  He will be here soon.

7.  Can you take me to the bathroom?

     Nurse:  Let me help you.


Internal Medicine(내과)
Vocabulary
throw up, vomit - 토하다
lightheaded - 몽롱한, 멍한
dizzy - 어지러운
diarrhea - 설사
spoiled - (음식이) 상한, 변질된
food poisoning - 식중독

Expressions
1.  the night before last.
2.  It's not getting any better.
3.  It's nothing to worry about.
4.  I'd like to run some tests.

1.  Is it serious?
     It's nothing to worry about.

2.  How is your ulcer(궤양)?
     It's not getting any better.

3.  You are going in to the doctor's office again?
     The doctor said he'd like to run some tests.



Dialogues
1.  You have diarrhea and you've been throwing up.
      Nurse checks your temperature.

2.  Doctor looks at the patient chart for the same patient.
You have other symptoms such as light headedness, and sometimes a bit dizzy.



Dialogue A
(Ellen is in the doctor's office.)
Nurse:  Hello.  I'm Nurse Chang.  What seems to be the problem?
Ellen:  I've got diarrhea and I've been throwing up.
Nurse:  When did it start?
Ellen:  The night before last.
Nurse:  Have you been taking anything for it?
Ellen:  Yes, an over-the counter medicine, but it's not getting any better.
Nurse:  Let me take your temperature.
            36 degrees.  Normal.
            The doctor will see you now.


Dialogue B
(Doctor looks at the patient chart.)
Doctor:  Hello.  You have diarrhea and have been vomiting.
              Body temperature is normal.
Ellen:  Yes.
Doctor:  Do you have any pains?  Any muscular soreness?
Ellen:  No, I don't.
Doctor:  Other symptoms?
Ellen:  I feel light headed, sometimes even a bit dizzy.
Doctor:  Well, it's probably you have some kind of flu, but it could be mild food poisoning.
              Have you eaten anything that tasted unusual lately?
Ellen:  Well, not really.  I don't think anything I ate was spoiled.
Doctor:  I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but I'd like to run some tests to make sure
             it's not something more serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment